Nelson Echeverria | Blog

Constructive criticism is encouraged! Feel free to leave comments.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

All You Have To Do Is Show Up

Being at the right place at the right time. I went to shoot an event at my church for my photojournalism class. At first it was kind of weird shooting since I saw everyone looking at me, probably wondering who is this guy with that big ass camera. After a while they forgot all about me. I was shooting as I carefully moved from one place to another. At times people were so deep in pray that I felt I had to stop shooting for a bit just to show some respect. I felt that it was very important to be respectful of the situation. The ultimate goal is for people to trust you. The most difficult part for me was that most of the communication took place non-verbally. By the end of the shoot I got this photograph of my father praying. To me this photograph is very honest and powerful. It is also personal to me because after all it is my father. I try to be careful because I know sometimes a personal attachment can blur my judgment. Anyways, I got a call the next day. They want to see my photographs. I found out that they were in need of a photographer and they are asking me to shoot more events like these in other churches. Its seems like a great opportunity. All it takes is some good timing, a little bit of luck, but more importantly all you have to do is show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment