Nelson Echeverria | Blog

Constructive criticism is encouraged! Feel free to leave comments.

Monday, June 28, 2010

It's Okay To Use Some Help















Kaity, who is my girlfriend and also a photographer was shooting our friend Grace. After her shooting at the beach I was asked if I wanted to shoot as well. I couldn't resist. I told Kaity I wanted to drive to a different location. I was fortunate enough to find a great location where the natural light was pleasing. This was another spontaneous shoot, where I would focus on the subject in-front of me. After shooting a couple of shots I realized that kaity was talking and interacting with our model Grace while I shot. Whether she knew it or not, I knew then that kaity was going to play a big part in this shoot. Part of being a photographer is recognizing when something might work and admitting it to yourself when it doesn't. In most cases I would want to be in total control of the shoot. So that I can lead it where I want it to go. For this particular shoot I gave up some of that control, because Kaity and Grace's connection was interesting enough to make successful photographs. I would still direct and have some control, but having Kaity there made a huge difference. By the end of the shoot, Kaity and I were both shooting Grace at the same time. It's alright to take a risk. For me that risk was allowing myself to use some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment